Sub Command Dial
Explanation: The „sub command dial“ at the front is a secondary dial, for use only if the „main command dial“ at the back has already a function assigned and a second dial is needed.
While shooting there are only two cases where sub command dial can change settings on its own:
- Choose an exposure compensation – if you have enabled it in the custom setting menu b3 Easy exposure compensation.
- Choose an aperture – if you are using the camera mode A or M and have not swapped the usage of the two command dials in the custom setting menu f6 Customize command dials.
While an image or menu is displayed on the monitor the sub command dial can be used like the multi selector, provided that you have activated this in the custom setting menu
f6 Customize command dials. Then you can use the sub-command dial
- to change the type of information that is displayed with an image
- scroll up and down through the display of several pictures
- move the yellow selector in menus sideward.
Tips: Use both command dials also during playback of images and in menus, after getting used to it they are quicker and more comfortable.
I also use the option of the custom setting menu b3 Easy exposure compensation
as it saves a bit of twiddling with the fingers.